Easy Ways to Fix a Stubborn Roof Leak
The telephone rang at 2:00 in the morning. When the telephone rings at this time, it usually means trouble, this time, it was exception. The frantic voice at the other end was claiming that his home ceiling was falling – literally. All the rain that had fallen for the last two days had turned a small roof leak into a water fall. The customer was requesting emergency roof services, at 02:00 AM, to stop in the middle of a rainy morning. He was not happy when I explained that it would not be safe to tackle the roof in the darkness. The lesson in here is “do not wait for rain to fix your roof leak!”
Common Places Leaks Occur in Roofing
This article will give the necessary knowledge to locate a roof leak. It will also tell you the best way to get your roof repaired. Portions of the roof vulnerable to leakage are the joints between the roof and the roof mounted structures, such as the chimney. The joint between the roof and a vertical wall; and the joint between two slopping sections – valleys.
While roof leaks are common in many homes, the basic locations are the skylights, ice dams, wall step flashings, missing shingles, plumbing vent flashing, chimneys, fields of shingles, and furnace or B-vent flashings. As common areas, many homeowners struggle to find the exact location when it comes to roof repairs.
Leaks can occur anywhere on the roofing company akron and for any number of reasons. Severe weather which brings rain, snow, wind and hail are hard on the roofs. Some roofs leak because they are plain worn out.
Tips to find the source of the roof leak
People usually notice the roof leak after the water begins to drip through the ceiling. However, the source of the leak is rarely directly above the water stain. These tips will help you locate the sources of a roof leak:
- In the attic, start above the ceiling leak and follow the water stains on the deck to the potential source. Watch for a ray of sunlight to indicate a nail hole.
- Have a friend hose down the roof while you watch the leak from the inside of the attic.
- If you find a hole, mark the location by using a wire hanger through the hole. Make sure your friend is able to locate the wire hanger on the top of the roof.
- When you look for leak on asphalt shingles, start by looking for worn out shingles with dark patches in them. This indicates loss of surface granules. Look also for curled and damaged shingles.
- Look also for broken or missing shingles.
- On a roof with a valley, clean out all debris accumulated in the valley. Search for broken or missing flashing material.
How to identify leak stains and Their LocationsAn identifiable stain is the mold or moisture around the vents, chimneys, and skylights. These are the intersections in which water connects. After finding the leaking locations, it’s important to move perishable items such as electronics, furniture, and other home appliances as well as catching the leak in a bucket. We have seen the movies in which buckets are located every other foot in the home; do not let this happen to your roof. Identifying the stains and locations are the first steps to saving your home from damaged goods by simple leaks. Your roofing contractor will explain the necessary requirements to ensure your possessions are safe while checking the condition of the ceiling before repair.